In 1885, George Sterming realized his lifelong dream. On this site he erected the building which still bears his name. The upper floor, once devoted to office suites, was destined to become the Belmont Hotel.
Sterming, a shrewd and experienced saloon keeper, catered primarily to the maritime trade. The patrons were an eclectic mix of sea captains, cargo brokers, adventurers and runners, gamblers and hustlers. Merchants squabbled about damaged goods. Cargo brokers negotiated rates and hustlers spread gossip while newly arrived passengers thanked their individual gods for the end of an often terrifying passage.
The upstairs Belmont Hotel has recently undergone a total renovation with modern amenities, while maintaining its Victorian elegance, including king beds, ensuite baths, high ceilings and brick walls.
The Hotel - History - Directions - Port Townsend - Home